Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Giveaway

Here's something I'd really like to win:

An Accuquilt Go! Cutter. What a great tool for a gadget lover like me! I know Accuquilt has given Go! Cutters to some bloggers to give away on their blogs, but I usually discover them a few days too late. This one I found before the drawing. I'm crossing my fingers that I win!.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010


I had a long weekend, and it was a rainy one. Perfect for sewing. I actually got a UFO done but forgot to take a pic--I'll try to remember to get one up later. Also found this UFO while looking for something else. I don't know where they all come from, they seem to be multiplying when I'm not looking!

 I really don't even remember starting this's several years old as those are some of the first charm packs I'd seen. They're American Jane from Sandy Klopp. The good thing is that it was already cut and about half of the blocks were sewn. All I had to do was finish the sewing, iron, and trim. Now they're all done and ready to be put together. I even had a few left overs from the charm packs:
Not many, but enough to try something fun.......which reminds me that I got a cool new tool. It's called L'il Twister, and it's a template designed specifically for use with charm packs.

So, I saw a demo at the quilt shop and it's supposed to be easy to use...............just sew the charm squares together, add a three inch border, and start cutting.

I added solid red squares to get some more intense color as my leftovers were low-contrast, and here's what I got:

It's quite a bit longer that this, but it wouldn't all fit in the pic. But you get the general idea. Starting at the border, you lay the template with the cross at the intersection of the first block corner and the border. Like this:
and cut all the way around the template.

Here's what it looked like after a few cuts!

And here are the first two rows laid out to sew.

By the way, the sewing is super-easy as there are no intersections except when joining the rows. One word of caution though, all four sides of the square are on the bias--not the true bias, but still stretchy enough that I had to handle them carefully, especially when pressing. I hope to finish getting this together soon and figure out what kind of borders I want. I'm trying to think of a way to use up the little squares that are left over from the cutting to make some type of border.