Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Block of the Month

I am hosting a block of the month for an on-line quilt group and wanted to share it here for anyone who wants to follow along via my blog. I have chosen ten-inch blocks from the Quilterscache website and will be doing about two a month. My colors will be red and navy Civil War Reproduction fabrics with dark cream or shirtings for the backgrounds. Over the years, I have collected lots of these fabrics and there are some older ones that need to be put to use.

The first block for January is the Alaska Homestead block. Here's a link to the instructions on Quilterscache:


http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlaskaHomesteadBlock.html

This is such a cute, simple block. Notice that I reversed the colors in mine. The reason I did that is because I wanted the red in the middle. I have picked out blocks with two-inch squares in the centers and I wanted to use that same red (I have a lot of it which needs to get used up) in all the centers and in the sashing cornerstones.

If you'd like to play along on this block of the month, please leave a comment and let me know how it's going! And stay tuned, there will be another one posted in the middle of the month.


Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn this is a lovely looking block in those colours...love it..hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete