Monday, May 18, 2009

May 2009 Block of the Month #2

The next May block is called Baton Rouge. It’s another 10” block from Quilterscache. Here’s a link to the instructions:

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BatonRougeSquareBlock.html

I followed the block instructions on the Quilterscache page so I won't duplicate the steps here, but here's a pic of how the individual patches look laid out after the half-square triangles are made:

The instructions will tell you to press each row in alternating directions, but I did make a small deviation on that step. I prefer to press away from each half-square triangle if I can do it without having seams facing the same directions when I put the rows together. I think it reduces the bulk at the intersections, and it also lets you see the intersection of the sewn thread lines so you can cross the seam exactly at the intersection point. Doing this prevents points from being "chopped off". Here's a pic of the wrong side of my rows after pressing:


And, here's the completed block:

Happy sewing,
Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carolyn,
    I got your blog address from Susan. I clog with her and love it. I have only made one quilt so far, a twin size. I enjoyed piecing and hand quilting it. I also dabble in other needlework. I do mean dabble since teaching is time consuming. I've done a bit of many things-cross stitch, crocheting edgings, embroidery, and most recently huck embroidery a.k.a. Swedish Weaving. I am also in love with aprons and my chickens! My blog is www.cackleberrycottage.blogspot.com
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete