Sunday, April 28, 2013

Another Finish (Not a Quilt)

The master bedroom has (had) a built in vanity that I've never really used, and when I had a few weeks off for the Christmas/New Year holiday, I started thinking about getting rid of it and trying to figure out what I would do with the space if the vanity were gone.........I decided I wanted a floor to ceiling cabinet where I could keep some of my vintage quilts. I made some phone calls, got some recommendations for carpenters, and made some more phone calls. The first carpenter that I called came over the same day, drew me a sketch, and gave me an estimate. It seemed like he understood what I wanted and could do it for a reasonable price. I gave him half of the money upfront, and he came back the next day to take out the vanity. He was going to build the cabinet in his shop, and install it at the end of the week (right after New Year's day). When the weekend came, he called and said he didn't have it painted yet as it had been raining all week. I had to go back to work on Monday and told him I'd give him a call the next weekend. It rained some more, and he still didn't get it finished. This went on for several weeks with various excuses from rain to illness to family problems, etc. In the meantime, this is what I'm looking at in the master bedroom:

And I'm running out patience, and my phone calls aren't being returned at all. Sometime near the end of March, I called from a different number and got an answer (not the one I wanted). The cabinet had gotten wet in one of the rainstorms and was ruined. He would have to completely rebuild it. Did I want to pay for more materials? My answer was no, I've already paid for the materials, and I want a cabinet or I want my money back. He said he'd try to have it finished by the following weekend.
A couple of weeks and several phone calls later, I finally had my cabinet. But it was nine inches to narrow for the space! It had to be rebuilt again. Last weekend, I got a finished cabinet that fits the space. Even after all the stress and unpleasantness, I like it! It's not exactly what I asked for, but it will work. Here's the finished cabinet:
And here it is with all the shelves filled with vintage quilts. I was at a loss with what to put in those little shelves on the lower right. They weren't part of my original plan, but I put some awards I've won for quilts I've made in them. I need to get busy and win more awards so I can finish filling them. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment