Saturday, October 3, 2026

Scrappy Saturday

Did you see what was chosen for the October color? It was posted on Wednesday—either light neutral or dark neutral. Hmmmm. I don’t know. I liked Angela’s suggestion to think about using the neutrals for sashing. I laid out my star blocks to see if I have enough for a quilt.

Well, I obviously need another block. I think I have another purple cut out—I just need to figure out where I put it. The blocks are 16” so if I add 2” sashing, the top will be 70” x 88” plus whatever I add for the border. A 6” border would make it 82” x 100”. That’s a little large for a quilt to donate to the graduation project. Maybe I can figure out something else to do with it. 

I didn’t bother to lay out my other blocks. I know I don’t have enough of these.


They are 10” blocks and I didn’t make as many of them as I did the stars. I think I will put this on my RSC list for 2027 and see if I can get enough to do a quilt. They are fast to make. I’m also thinking about string blocks and something with solids. Lots of decisions to be made, and I’m too tired right now. It can wait.

We got a little rain….the local news said 2.9”, but my rain gauge said 1.5”. That was for Thursday and Friday. I took a picture of the apple weather app, because I think they lie a lot.


I took the picture on Thursday and the temperatures have been fairly accurate. The rain, not so much. I’m thankful we have gotten what we got. 



14 comments:

  1. Those are such pretty blocks. Well, neutrals aren't going to help me, so I'll just catch up on August and September! Glad you got some rain, and looks like your temps are cooler too. Our grandson and wife are visiting our son & DIL in The Woodlands this weekend, and they went for a concert at the outdoor pavilion Thursday night and got a little wet. So the rain seems to be all over the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is welcome here! I would love the get some more. The probability for today is 90% so it could happen.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, LOVE those scrappy Stars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice quilt that will be when finished! I love this time of year as we begin wrapping things up and preparing finishes in the RSC. The Neutral months are nice because they give me time to dig into my browns and grays (with blacks sometimes) to round out block collections or pare down those scrap buckets. I also try to focus on working with my multi-colored scraps that don’t often fit into a neat color category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a good plan. I found some light gray I want to use for sashing, but first I need to make the extra block I need.

      Delete
  4. Those are such pretty star blocks! One more in purple sounds perfect. You could send some of that rain my way - northern Colorado is (too) warm and (too) dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send some your way. It’s been so hot and dry here this summer.

      Delete
  5. Your star quilt is gorgeous!!! What a great RSC project, both of them actually!!! I'm with you on the weather app--the rain never happens here the way they predict either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I think I will be a little sad to finish it.

      Delete
  6. the weather predictions are always up and down and so often wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s crazy how it says one thing when I go to bed, and when I get up in the morning it says something else. I took a picture of it to convince myself I’m not imagining things.

      Delete
  7. Your scrappy star blocks are so pretty, Carolyn! I'm sure you will figure out the final layout. Glad you got some rain. We need rain here too, to fill up the reservoirs. We are already on water restrictions.

    ReplyDelete