Monday, September 21, 2026

Weekend Update

I hope your weekend was good! Mine went pretty well. I took my stepdad to Corpus Christi for a doctor appointment on Friday. Would you believe it rained all day in Corpus? I got back to Victoria around 5:30, and it hadn’t rained any here. I was so disappointed! Oh well. I’m tired of watering the grass, but I keep doing it. Especially around the house foundation. 

I put together another baby quilt on Saturday.


The picture really doesn’t do it justice. The fabrics are so pretty. I’ve had those five fat quarters for a while. I don’t remember if I got them from JoAnn’s or Hobby Lobby. I think I had two packs but not sure what happened to the other one. Anyway, I decided the pack I had left wasn’t doing anyone any good sitting on the shelf, so I came up with a way to use it for a baby quilt. I had to add a border to get it up to a reasonable size. It’s 40” x 43”. 

I ordered a bolt of 108” white flannel to use for backing, and I think I can put the baby quilt tops three across and two down on top of the backing and batting. I had five tops ready to longarm, and needed a sixth one. That was the motivation to get this one done.

Here are the six I have done now:


I cut off 3 yards of the 108” flannel and surged the ends so I could wash and dry it. When I get a chance, I will load it on the longarm and get these done. I’m not sure about thread color—maybe light gray.

I am continuing to work on my Irish chain blocks as leaders/enders, so needless to say, it’s not going real fast. I needed to see some progress so I started sewing blocks together into a row.


I don’t know if you can tell what I’m doing with the black and white. My concern with the pink blocks is that I have all that white space that will need custom quilting to do it justice. Not that I can’t do the custom quilting, but it does take a lot of time.  So this is what I came up with. Everywhere you see white on the top row, I subbed multi-colored squares. Everywhere you see pink, I subbed black, and for the 1930’s prints, I subbed white. It’s hard to keep up with, and I have made more than a few mistakes. Luckily, I like a challenge. LOL. I hope to add another row to each by the end of the week if I can get enough blocks made, but I’ll have to see how it goes. Doing it this way, I will have two Irish chain quilts instead of one, but it will take a little longer to finish. I will be linking this to Melva Loves Scraps







4 comments:

  1. I like your black and white! It really looks pretty with the pinks. Those are pretty fabrics with your baby quilts. What kind of batting do you use in them? Sorry you didn't get the rain - we finally got some last night. I hope it makes it all the way down to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the baby quilts, I use the Quilter’s Dream batting; either the 100% cotton or the 100% polyester. Both are low loft and drape well. I would happily take some of the rain!

      Delete
  2. I like the little squares and looks pretty with the pink

    ReplyDelete