Thursday, July 23, 2026

Something Old

One of my favorite things is old quilts and old quilt blocks. A customer brought me a bag of quilt blocks she found in her aunt’s house. She was cleaning out the house after her aunt passed away and found these a bag of signature blocks.


She said she didn’t know these existed and was surprised to find them. I asked her if she recognized the names, and she said they were family names. The blocks are mostly hand stitched, and I can guarantee you none of them are the same size. I didn’t want to trim the hand stitched ones


so I measured them from the back and drew a stitching line with a pencil. That way I could take a wider seam allowance where needed. I laid them all out.


There were enough plain muslin blocks in the bag that I could have used an alternate block setting, but the quilt would have been huge, so I opted to just use some purple sashing. (The purple yardage was also in the bag, and there was plenty.) 


I did use three of the plain blocks in the corners so everything would come out even. I think it looks okay with the plain corners. I used a darker purple for the border. Oh, this one had “age 11” written in pencil.


I went ahead and got out my green embroidery thread and embroidered over the pencil to preserve it. 

I’ll be able to get this quilted and hopefully get the binding on it sometime next week. I’ll post more pictures as soon as I get it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment