I’ve been on a placemat kick lately. I make a lot of placemats from oddball orphan blocks or random scraps and donate them to Meals on Wheels. I try to donate about 25 per year. Sometimes I hit that goal and sometimes not. Either way, they are happy to receive them, and they are fast and easy to make.
Sometimes I get tired of random scraps and start looking for patterns I can use to make matched sets. I found another free pattern that I tried out yesterday.
The pattern is called “But First Coffee”, and you can find it here. I don’t have any of the coffee fabric, but I had a yard of bee fabric I thought was really cute.
I’m pretty sure the bee fabric was from Walmart; the brown and the honeycomb print are from Hobby Lobby. I changed the dimensions of the placemats so the honeycomb border would show up better. I’m not so sure that was the right decision. If I bind it with the dark brown, I think it will look better.
It didn’t take very long to get a set of four made.
Depending how much fabric I have left, I want to get another set or two made. I think I will try to follow the pattern as it is written and see what I think. Oooh, I just had an idea. What if I put the bees on the left and the honeycomb on the right and use a beige or gold for the border? Something to consider! I plan to donate these for our church craft sale. Any that are left over can be donated to Meals on Wheels, but right now I have plenty for them.
After my exercise class this morning I am going to drive to Stafford for the Coastal Prairie quilt show. I used to go to it when I lived in Lake Jackson, and it was always a good show. I texted Betty to see if she wanted to ride along, and she said yes. It’s always more fun to go with a friend! I will take some pictures while I’m there. Have a great Friday!





Your placemats turned out cute! I like your bees on the left/honeycomb on the right idea. Have fun with Betty!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Deletegoing to a quilt show sounds like real fun!!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun, but now I’m tired!
DeleteYour placemats are fun little projects! I look forward to "hearing" about the quilt show.
ReplyDeleteI just got the pictures edited and ready to post tomorrow!
DeleteBeautiful placemats, Carolyn! Love the bee fabric. Thank you for posting the link to the free placemats pattern, I need to get my coffee fabrics out. One day! LOL How was the quilt show?
ReplyDeleteThank you! The show was nice. It was a big show so there was plenty to look at!
Delete