Thursday, August 13, 2026

This and That

I’m going to try and do a quick blog post on some of the things I have been working on. First and foremost, is income tax. I detest doing it and put it off each year as long as I possibly can. I have piles of paper everywhere, but it is finally done. I’ll take everything to the CPA on Friday. 

In between paperwork, I finished putting the binding on Marian’s quilt.


I quilted it with an antler design, but unfortunately, it doesn’t really show up on the busy fabric. The back is a really pretty foliage print with deer on it. 


My latest baby afghan is nearing completion size.


I don’t have a definite size in mind, but I think it needs 6-8 more rows, and then I’ll lay it out and look at it again. You can see the dye lots on the two skeins I’ve used so far don’t quite match. That’s a shame, but I’m not planning to rip it out. 

I took two Lutheran World Relief quilt kits home to work on. They have plenty of people to do ironing and cutting, and even the tacking, but not too many can actually sew, and they were asking for help. I had time last weekend to get one pieced, and I ironed it Monday and returned it Tuesday.


Easy piecing, and it’s 60” x 80”, so big squares. I’ll get the second one done soon.

There have been a lot of tutorials on YouTube about making baskets out of dish drying mats. I have been buying them when I see them on sale but never got around to making anything until this week.


The sizes on the mats aren’t always uniform so the baskets aren’t the same size. They are cute little baskets, I can think of a lot of uses for them, but I probably won’t keep them. I’m trying to come up with donation items right now, and that’s where these will go. I’m not sure what price to put on them. I’ll have to look around and see what they are selling for.


6 comments:

  1. Your dish mat baskets are very cute and look more finished than some I've seen. Which tutorial did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m not sure which tutorial I used, but I know it was on YouTube. It may have been Creating With Lisa.

      Delete
  2. Those little baskets are cute. Marian’s quilt looks really pretty. Good luck on the income tax. Hope you have a great weekend coming up.
    I have a little good news to share this morning - after a really rough night, my husband has been soundly sleeping most of the morning. Apparently the prescribed sleep aid had a delay as he was sleepless and in pain most of the night. And his leg does not hurt while seated this morning, only when he bears weight on it - and that is huge! We are cautiously optimistic. Anyway thank you so much for your prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am giving God thanks for this breakthrough, and I will continue to pray until he is completely pain free.

      Delete
  3. The antlers on the deer quilt look great! I could see the quilting when I clicked on the close-up view. Nice you could get a top ready for tying for LWR. Cute baskets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Since this post I have made more baskets. They are fast!

      Delete