Saturday, February 12, 2022

Vintage Quilt Top

When I found the tote with the vintage quilt, I also found three unquilted tops. I truly have no memory of how these came to be in my possession, but I am guessing either a flea market or an auction as I am a fan of both. One of my very favorite patterns is the improved nine patch, so I have no doubt I bought this one.

There are definitely some problems.
I think I can remove the damaged pieces and use them as a pattern to cut new pieces. The top is hand pieces. 

Im not sure what to do about the border. I think I will need to turn it under and appliqué it to a solid piece of stable fabric. That, of course, is easier said than done.

You can see how frayed this is. Here’s a word of advice. No matter how dirty an unquilted top is, never, never, never launder it. Wait until it is quilted, and then it is washable. This one was laundered, and the seams, especially the outside edges, definitely suffered for it. I know people don’t know any better, but it made this one a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment