Sunday, July 7, 2024

Hurricanes and Other Stuff

I was hoping we could avoid all the hurricane activity; especially since we got nothing last year, but here is the current tracker.

For reference, I live just to the left of the top H on the map. If it stays a Cat 1, we should be okay; if it sits in the gulf and gets stronger, who knows? I have lived on the gulf coast most of my life, the exception being 4 or 5 years in College Station, so it’s nothing new to me, but I don’t look forward to it. I typically don’t evacuate, but our utilities will be turned off if it get close to land which means it will be hot and humid. I will fill the bathtubs with water tomorrow so I have water to flush with and wash myself with. Sometimes I feel like moving, but all four of my grandchildren are here and my 83-year old mother. Oh well, maybe I should check on getting one of the whole-house generators. I have a regular generator, but I have no clue how to hook it up. I think Bill showed me, but I can’t remember. Please pray for me, if you are a prayer warrior, that i don’t get any damage. 

I did make it to the Farmers Market yesterday and bought some fresh veggies. 

The peppers, squash, potatoes, and tomatoes all came from there. I got the green beans from the grocery store. So, so, so good. No wonder I don’t ever lose weight! I like to cook and I like to eat! My neighbor brought me some pollo con calabasa (chicken with squash) she made which I will eat today. 

She puts corn in it, and it’s really good. She is a good cook.

Other than cooking, I have done a little sewing and quilting. I’ll try to post pix tomorrow. I spent most of yesterday running errands and working on the yard. 

I did get the sidewalks blown off after I took this pic. LOL.

4 comments:

  1. I've been watching the path change hourly and noticed Victoria will be in it. One of the reasons I do not miss south Texas is because of my fear of hurricanes. We've been through Alicia, TS Allison, Rita, and Harvey, had a tree land on and damage the roofs of two of our houses, and between the wind and no utilities, it's just scary and miserable, so you will definitely have my prayers! Those veggies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I remember all of those! Thank you for praying.

      Delete
  2. Sending prayers your way, Carolyn. I lived in Canada all my life; have no idea what going through tornado season is like but it scares the sh*t out of me when they talk about it on the news. So, will say lots of prayers for you. Stay safe. ;^)

    ReplyDelete