Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Valentines Day

Is it Valentines Day or Valentine’s Day? I need to look that up. 

I looked at Wikipedia, and it was spelled there with an apostrophe; other places don’t spell it that way. Here’s what Wikipedia says:

Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine,[1] is celebrated annually on February 14.[2] It originated as a Christian feast day honoring a martyr named Valentine and through later folk traditions, it has also become a significant cultural, religious and commercial celebration of romance and love in many regions of the world.[3][4]

There are a number of martyrdom stories associated with various Saint Valentines connected to February 14,[5]including an account of the imprisonment of Saint Valentine of Rome for ministering to Christians persecuted under the Roman Empire in the third century.[6][7] According to an early tradition, Saint Valentine restored sight to the blind daughter of his jailer.[8] Numerous later additions to the legend have better related it to the theme of love: tradition maintains that Saint Valentine performed weddings for Christian soldiers who were forbidden to marry by the Roman emperor;[7] an 18th-century embellishment to the legend claims he wrote the jailer's daughter a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell before his execution.[9]

I can pretty well assume it’s not a feast day this year, as it falls on Ash Wednesday this year. We had to remove all the lap quilts from the chapel and sanctuary yesterday in preparation for Ash Wednesday. 

They had been there two weeks and already been blessed. We spent the rest of the morning ironing labels on them, and then we went to a restaurant to celebrate our WELCA anniversary. This is the 140th anniversary of WELCA in our church. I wish I could see some pictures of those ladies in the 1880’s. Our services were still in German at that time, so no doubt a lot has changed.

One of my friends attends a church that is fundraising to build a new church, and they are doing a crafts sale in a few weeks. I took her a few things including this table runner and placemats

and these potholders.
I also gave her some ten-minute table runners made with Easter fabric, but I forgot to take pictures. She has helped me out on more than one occasion, so I was happy to help her out.

Today is another busy day—I’m hoping to make it to my exercise class, but my knee is bothering me a little. I chose not to walk at the track yesterday evening, but I still had almost 7000 steps on my Fitbit, so not horrible. I plan to attend Ash Wednesday service at noon; if I don’t, I’ll have to go at 7:00 pm. And, of course, there are quilts I need to quilt. 

2 comments:

  1. Those lap quilts look pretty in the sanctuary. I used to work in a church, and it was easy to go from work to the evening Ash Wednesday service. It was always the most meaningful service of the Easter season to me - I like the somber, quiet ceremony of it. Hope you knee gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I agree about Ash Wednesday. It is a good time to reflect on our faith.

      Delete