Friday, July 30, 2021

Crocheted Dishcloths

 I like to have a little something to work on in the evenings if I decide to watch TV. The dishcloths are fun and easy, and it doesn't take long to get one finished.


I have made several patterns, but these are my favorite as far as being fast and easy to do. The stitch pattern leaves a little bit of a bumpy texture which works well for dishcloths.

I use the Crafter's Secret Yarn from Hobby Lobby or the Sugar n'Cream from Joann's and a G/6 hook. Chain 22 plus one chain to turn. SC in the 22nd chain, DC in the next and repeat to the end. Chain 1 and turn. Repeat the SC,DC pattern across the row and Chain 1 to turn. Each row should start with a SC and end with a DC which makes the bumpy texture.

For this one, I used a variegated yarn. I really like the effect the variegated yarns give the work without having to change colors.

You can see the cloth is about 6-1/2" inches wide. I keep going until the height measures the same as the width.
At the end of the row, work 3 SC in the corner and then SC down the side.

When working down the sides, I try to space the SC's evenly and try to pick up two yarns with my hook when I make the stitch.
It makes a firmer edge than if you just pick up one or go into a loose space. When I reach the end of the row, I do 3 SC in the corner to turn (if it looks to bulky, I work 2 SC instead of 3).
Continue until all four sides are done and slipstitch into the first SC to fasten off.

Here's two I made from this skein.

Once the last row is done, they measure about 7". You could make them bigger by adding more to the beginning chain, but I like this size as I can get two dishcloths from a skein of yarn. If you try it, send me a picture and let me know how it turned out!

Two of these with a plate of cookies makes a great gift if you have a new neighbor moving in. They are also good stocking stuffers and Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment