Sunday, November 12, 2023

A New Old Quilt

I love old quilts--my favorite pattern is the Improved Nine Patch (aka Glorified Nine Patch). I have a couple of old ones in that pattern. In fact, you might have noticed my blog header is one of them. We have a box at church where we collect used coats and sweaters for the homeless, and someone put a vintage Improved Nine Patch quilt in it. The lady who distributes the coats asked me if I wanted it, and of course I did. It was pretty yellowed and dingy, but I soaked it for about 10 hours and hung it up outside to dry, and now look at it!

It is so much brighter! I didn't think to take a picture before I cleaned it, but it is clean now.

It isn't quite square, and the back has some stains. I'm not sure if I will try to deal with the stains or just leave it alone. After all, they didn't come out after soaking it, and they're not terrible.

This quilt is around 75" x 82", and the weather is getting cool enough to have a quilt on the bed, so that's where this one is right now. I'm enjoying it, and I like the vintage look. I don't normally gravitate to anything blue, so I don't have much of that color in my collection. Anyway, I felt a little funny about taking something that was donated for the homeless, so I went by Walmart and bought a jacket to put in the donation box. I think that's a fair trade?

4 comments:

  1. Awww it has a new home! I think it's a great trade - some might rather have a jacket than a vintage quilt.
    I had to Google "Glorified Nine Patch" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think it is okay. The lady who is coordinating the ministry is collecting coats and jackets. She wasn’t wanting to give out an old quilt; especially a not very clean one.

      Delete
  2. Great trade for a beautiful old quilt!!

    ReplyDelete