Friday, March 29, 2024

Picadillo

It’s been a minute since I’ve shared a recipe. I was in New Orleans all weekend, and the food there is wonderful. 


In addition to the beignets I posted about, we ate a lot of seafood. It was all good, but I don’t usually eat out so much. By the time I got home I just wanted some home-cooked comfort food. Of course, that usually means Tex-mex in my part of the world. I decided to make some Piccadillo; my local grocery has a tortilleria, so I bought a package of flour tortillas there (so fresh they were still warm). 

Most recipes for picadillo have tomatoes or tomato sauce added, but I didn’t learn to make it that way. Here’s my recipe:

1 lb ground beef, I use extra lean or ground sirloin

3 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes

1 small can green chiles

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 small onion, chopped fine

1 green bell pepper, chopped fine

1 cup beef broth

2 tbsp corn starch

1 tsp. Cumin

Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and pepper in a large skillet with a small amount of oil. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until the meat is browned. Add remaining ingredients except corn starch and cover skillet. Cook until potatoes are done and most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove a small amount of the liquid and mix with corn starch. Add to skillet and increase heat until the liquid thickens. This is what it looks like:


I eat it like a taco on flour tortillas with some avocado slices. 

This is not low carb, but it is comfort food at its best!


2 comments:

  1. Your picadillo recipe looks delicious - thanks for sharing! Would that local grocery be HEB? I have to have their fresh tortillas every time I go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! HEB. There is a big one very close to me, and I really like the tortillas and the tamales. They are just like homemade--but without the mess!

      Delete