Friday, July 8, 2022

Customer Quilts

Yes, that’s about all I’ve been working on this week. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, though. I only have a few more to do.

If you do your own quilting, you probably already know this, but I am going to post it for those that may not know. If you have seams on the outer border of your quilt, they need to be backstitched. This is what happens if you don’t:

The stretching that happens when the top is loaded on the frame plus the weight of the sew head will most likely cause your seams to open up. I caught this one in time and was able to fix it, but not all longarmers will fix it for you. 

I probably also need to post something about how to measure your borders; I will do that one day.

It hasn’t been a very good day—lots of challenges. I buy fabric by the bolt at a discounted price to use on the backs of my charity quilts. This is annoying as heck:


A seam about two yards into the bolt. I had about 14” of waste on this one. I guess it’s not really wasted as I will cut the seam out and put the other 13” in my scrap boxes. 

Then I was cutting out another 3-yard quilt and decided I couldn’t use the black fabric.


Yes, the fold line is faded. Actually, I prewashed this fabric, and it looks like the whole thing is faded. I bought it at Joann’s, and I noticed their fabric quality was not what it once was. I don’t want to pay quilt shop prices for charity quilts, but I can’t deal with this cheap quality. I think I paid either $6.99 or $7.99 for this one, and it’s just not worth it. I can’t imagine how they will stay in business with yucky fabric like this. This one is going in the trash, and I will try to find something else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment