Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Md-Week Progress

I have been working on charity projects mostly, although I did get a customer quilt loaded. Unfortunately, I found a small hole in it and had to take a picture and text it to her to see how she wants me to proceed. In the meantime, I got the binding sewn on the second charity quilt.
These are all the three-yard quilt patterns, and you end up with enough leftover fabric for a single-fold binding. I am not a fan of that type of binding, especially not for a quilt that will potentially get a lot of use, so I use the excess backing fabric to make a double-fold binding. I sew them by machine, and I am getting lots of good practice! That is my way of trying to see the bright side since I don’t like binding. I used the pieces that were left from the three primary fabrics to make a pillowcase cuff and a little flange.

I had the red and white print fabric in my stash; in fact, the selvage said 2010, so I’m glad to use it up. I think it turned out pretty cute.

I found enough leftovers from the first one to make a pillow case for it as well.

The main piece (the blue) was leftover from the back and binding. I have been serging the seams instead of doing the French seams because it so much faster. Unfortunately, I broke both needles when I was going really fast across a thick seam and had to pretty much take the serger apart to find one of the broken needle tips. Then I had to work on readjusting all the tensions…..anyway, it took a little time, but it is working great now. I just need to clean and oil everything before I do another one. 

I have three more of these three yard quilts in the stack to quilt, but I’m thinking it may be next week before I can get time to quilt them. I also sent about six kits home with Janice, and I’ll be getting those back pretty soon and will need to get them quilted and bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment