Saturday, July 16, 2022

Two for One Day

I challenged myself to figure out if I could quilt two of the charity quilts at once. I thought the batting would be the limiting factor as the quilts are all about 45" wide, and I buy the 90" batting by the roll. I figured I could probably using the batting seam tape and fuse a long piece of scrap batting down one side. I measured the batting after I cut it, and it is actually about 97-98" wide. I had no idea! 

You can see I have plenty left on the sides. I floated the tops since they are not the same length. The backing fabric is 108" wide so that was a no-brainer. 

It did take a little longer to load, and I am having to baste the heck out of them to keep them aligned properly, but all in all, it is working out okay. It's not something I would do on a customer quilt, but for these charity quilts where I am trying to get the maximum bang for the buck, it is a good solution. I am also piecing two more while these are quilting, but I don't like to stay away from the quilting machine too long, so that is not going quite as fast.

I finished Karen's donation quilt (seersucker) and got it off the frame and trimmed this morning. I think she will be happy with it.


We got another three or four inches of rain today. Praise God! This is what it looked like driving to the shop today:

You can see all the water pooled up on the sides on the streets. We are all so glad to get rain.

2 comments:

  1. we are getting a tiny bit of rain in Denver area today! whee! feels good, ground and trees slurping it up. Clever you to figure out how to save a bit of time doing the donation quilts. I still have to quilt on my little domestic, old machine and think how different it would be to have my quilts finished on a long arm. But... lots of reasons I can't . Fun getting to know you... I like the look of your blog
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's been such a dry summer, and so many parts of the country are needing rain. As for quilting on your dms, as long as you are quilting, that is all the matters.

      Delete