Friday, January 13, 2023

Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Stashbusters



So much for Friday the 13th. I had already had my bad luck for the week. I had some kind of stomach bug with all the great things that accompany that sort of thing. In the meantime…..

I have some serious FOMO, and I tend to jump headfirst into all the new things. That’s one of the reasons I create so many UFO’s. I think I am getting better….I haven’t done any mystery quilts or BOM’s or swaps for a couple of years, even though I have been tempted. Last year, I started the Stashbusters challenge (Facebook group) and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. By about February or March, I had moved back to Victoria, totally misplaced a lot of things, and completely fizzled out on both challenges. 

I had an inspiration this year and decided I could combine both of these challenges into one project. The Stashbuster block for 2023 is the Northwinds block.

The RSC color for January is dark or bright blue. I can make my Northwinds blocks each month in the RSC color way and accomplish both things with less effort and maybe have a finished (or finishable) quilt by the end of the year. Here is what I did for January:
I made the six-inch ones. It was really interesting how long it took because for a while I have been doing fast and easy and nothing too small. I am out of practice with the smaller piecing and had to slow down a little bit. It’s okay though. I did a little prep work and cut quite a few strips from the background color. That can stay constant through the whole process, and that way, it won’t require any thought or digging through the stash looking for suitable background fabric. I am linking to SoScrappy.

4 comments:

  1. Love that Northwinds block - looks good in any color! Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I just may copy you...if that's okay?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you can. If you need the Northwinds pattern, it is available through the Stash Buster Challenge Facebook group.

      Delete