Saturday, October 28, 2023

Getting Crafty

I had a day when I just didn't feel like sewing or quilting, but I needed something to work on (something besides laundry and cleaning). I ended up doing a little craft project.....nothing stressful or high-level. Just fun and easy. 

I used a pre-quilted placemat to make a little stationery folio.

I folded the bottom 1/3 of the placemat up and stitched each of the outside edges closed. Then I stitched a vertical seam in the middle and 3 inches from each edge. That's it! I folded it on each of the vertical seams and steamed it a little. Then on the outside, I sewed shank buttons.

I used a small pony tail elastic tied in the middle to wrap around the buttons and hold the folio closed. Here's what it looks like when it's folded up and closed:

I had a small stack of the postcards that were left over from the quilt show, and I cut them apart.

I glued the top portion to a piece of construction paper and glued both pieces to some folded cardstock. The glossy photo was not sticking too well, so I ended up topping stitch it all together with a decorative stitch.

I really like the decorative stitching--I think it added a nice touch! I have some blank envelopes that I think came from Dollar Tree or Dollar General, and I added the same decorative stitch to the envelope flap so that it looks like a set.

If you don't have the blank cards and envelopes on hand you can order them from Amazon for $6.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Envelopes-Invitation-Cardstock-Greeting-Occasions/dp/B0B5RBFL7S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LU8MAVFV5P3H&keywords=blank+cards+and+envelopes+4x6&qid=1698431881&sprefix=blank+car%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-5

It was a fun project, and since I already had the placemat on hand, it was essentially free! Now I just need to figure out who I can send a card to!

No comments:

Post a Comment